SEIU Local 509 (Marlborough, MA)
ABOUT SEIU LOCAL 509
SEIU Local 509 represents 20,000 human service workers and educators throughout Massachusetts in a variety of social services and educational settings. Local 509 has a commitment to advocate for good jobs and quality services to meet the varied needs of families, persons with disabilities and students throughout Massachusetts.
SEIU Local 509 is part of the Service Employees International Union (SEIU), one of the largest and fastest-growing labor unions in the United States.
Local 509 seeks a candidate to lead our Member Action and Resource Team, the MARC. The MARC is currently a team of 6 staff dedicated to handling and processing grievances, representation matters, and answering members’ questions across multiple bargaining units and industries. The successful candidate will be responsible of supervising a team of MARC organizers, coordinating communication with internal organizing teams, and implementing stewards’ trainings.
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES
- Supervise and mentor MARC organizers
- Answer questions and give advice on cases
- Check cases for discussion at one-on-ones to identify and counsel on problems with cases (both the substance of the case and the documentation)
- Review grievances to determine eligibility for arbitration
- Work with Field Services Directors on coordination of efforts and communication between Internal Organizing and MARC
- Distribute cases to organizers
- Train new MARC staff
- Establish phone and email queue order
- Implement Stewards Training Program
- Set priorities and workflow standards
- Perform personnel-related supervision, such as evaluations and staff development plans
- Oversee development and maintenance of resource documents in conjunction with Field Services
- Coordinate local-wide grievance and arbitration processes
- Develop and run advanced representational training for stewards
- Trouble shoot issues with MARC database, in collaborations with IT and Field Services
- Design tracking systems to measure workload and performance
- Ensure coverage of investigatory interviews, grievance hearings, arbitration preparation, Alternative Dispute Resolution hearings, mediation, and other representational situations
- Work with stewards and officers on Standard Operating Procedures and in steward/officer settings as appropriate (i.e. Steward Councils)
- Responsible for overseeing phone coverage for the MARC and other MARC organizer duties
- Extensive knowledge of and experience with grievance and arbitration practices
- Internal organizing experience
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to work with diverse range of staff and members in a respectful and developmental manner
- Computer skills and fluency with commonly used software (Microsoft, databases, internet)
- Highly organized, open to learning, flexible and adaptive, creative and self-motivated
- Supervisory experience
- Working knowledge of database concepts, high degree of comfort with technology and learning new technology-based information
- Training and facilitation experience
- Bilingual, Spanish fluency (oral and written) specifically
The Member Action & Resource Coordinator works under the President (or her/his designee) – who review work for effectiveness, timeliness, accuracy and conformance with applicable rules and regulations. The position will directly supervise MARC staff, and may provide functional supervision of other employees or member leaders.
SALARY & BENEFITS
SEIU Local 509 offers competitive salaries and a generous benefits package – including car allowance. Salary will be approximately $70,000 commensurate with experience
SEIU Local 509 is an equal opportunity employer with a commitment to diversity – women, people of color and LGBT candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. Interested candidates should submit a résumé and cover letter to:
Cliff Cohn, Chief of Staff
SEIU Local 509
293 Boston Post Road West 4th Fl.
Marlborough MA 01752-4739
Email is the preferred method for application; please include “MARC Coordinator Position” in the subject line of your message. The deadline for application is March 24, 2017. No phone calls please.