Strategic Policy Analyst and Researcher
ABOUT SEIU LOCAL 509
SEIU Local 509 represents nearly 20,000 human service workers and educators throughout Massachusetts. We provide a variety of social services to elders, at-risk children and people with mental illnesses or developmental disabilities — as well as educational services in both public and private sector settings. From mental health clinicians and social workers to early childhood educators and university lecturers, Local 509 members are united in our mission to raise living standards for all working families while improving the quality and affordability of the services we provide.
SEIU Local 509 is part of the 2.1 million-member Service Employees International Union, the fastest-growing labor union in the United States. Focused on uniting workers in four sectors — public services, long term care, property services, and hospital systems — SEIU is the nation’s largest health care union, the largest property services union, the second-largest public employee union and the fastest-growing union in early childhood and higher education.
Local 509 are hiring a Strategic Policy Analyst and Researcher. The successful candidate will lead the local’s strategic policy analysis, research, and data analysis work in support of organizing, bargaining, and issue and public policy campaigns. Work will primarily take place in the Greater Boston area, though occasional travel throughout the state may be necessary.
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES
Working closely with the Organizing, Field Services, Political, and Communications departments, as well as member leaders, the Strategic Researcher will:
- Exercise shared high-level responsibility for developing and executing campaign strategy.
- Conduct exploratory campaign research and data analysis, and communicate the results to decision-makers via memos and presentations to inform and support campaign planning.
- Identify, continuously monitor and provide timely updates on regulatory, legislative, budgetary and industry factors relevant to campaigns.
- Analyze, interpret, summarize, visualize and map data from a wide variety of sources, including:
- Public demographic, economic, and administrative data
- Financial statements, tax returns, contractor compliance reports, cost reports, uniform financial reports and other relevant administrative and regulatory filings from government agencies and private-sector employers.
- Bargaining unit information provided by employers.
- Collect government data and documents via U.S. Freedom of Information Act and Massachusetts Public Records Law requests.
- Prepare reports, white papers, testimony and other public research products.
- Build relationships with and gather information from advocates, public officials, industry leaders, academic experts and others.
- Develop, conduct and analyze worker surveys.
- A demonstrated commitment to economic and social justice
- A BA or higher in public policy, urban planning, social sciences, or another relevant field preferred, with at least 2-3 years of experience in a related field
- Knowledge of SEIU 509’s industries
- Experience conducting corporate research and policy analysis
- Excellent research and analytic skills, especially in quantitative analysis
- Familiarity with public data sets, and with administrative and regulatory corporate filings
- Advanced spreadsheet and database software skills
- Excellent listening, speaking and writing abilities
- Ability to work under pressure and with people from diverse backgrounds
- Willingness to work long and irregular hours, including nights and weekends
- An ability to juggle multiple projects at a time in a fast-paced environment
- Possession of an insured, registered vehicle and a valid driver’s license
The Strategic Policy Analyst and Researcher works under the supervision of the organizing director (or their designee) who reviews work for effectiveness, timeliness, accuracy, and conformance with rules and regulations.
SALARY & BENEFITS
This is a union bargaining unit position. SEIU Local 509 offers competitive salaries (commensurate with experience) and a generous benefits package – including car allowance.
SEIU Local 509 is an equal opportunity employer with a strong commitment to diversity — women, people of color and LGBT candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. Interested candidates should submit a résumé, cover letter and samples of writing work to:
The deadline for application is January 31st, 2018. No phone calls please.