Coordinator of Field Services for Family Child Care Providers
General Description of Position
SEIU Local 509 is a fast growing, progressive union representing nearly 20,000 state workers, human service workers, higher education faculty and family childcare providers in Massachusetts. This position oversees the family child care department of local 509, and is responsible for representation, bargaining and leadership development for family childcare providers.
Example of Duties:
- Leads childcare staff
- Coordinates with member organizer/leaders in creating, implementing and engaging in various campaigns (both issue and membership based)
- Coordinates bargaining committee and helps develop contract proposals
- Develops the planning and execution of the formation of regional membership structure for the child care department
- Coordinates Child Care Department activity with other components of the Local union such as organizing, communications and politics
- Plans, develops and coordinate leadership development of the childcare membership
- Develops and maintains familiarly with the key early learning policy issues and translates those issues into political action, issue campaigns and work with allies.
- Coordinates communications, press and research aspects of campaigns
- Meets with management to discuss various issues
- Attends membership, trainings, orientations, Department of Early Education and Care and local meetings
- Responds to member concerns and complaints
- Evaluates work performance
- Performs related work as required
Reports to the Director of Field Services
Supervises team of internal organizers and member leaders on lost-time
- Must have at least 5 years’ experience in community or issue based advocacy, preferably within the labor movement or political campaigns. With at least 2 years of management or supervision experience or training.
- Must possess good written and oral communication skills and have the ability to work in stressful situations.
- Must be willing to work long hours, travel in-state and work on weekends and evenings.
- It is preferred that the applicants be bilingual in Spanish and English.
- Excellent computer skills are essential.
SEIU Local 509 offers competitive salaries and excellent benefits
SEIU Local 509 is an equal opportunity employer with a strong commitment to diversity — women, people of color and LGBT candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. Interested candidates should submit a résumé, and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org
The deadline for application is January 11, 2019. No phone calls please