General Description of Position
SEIU Local 509 is a fast growing, progressive union representing nearly 20,000 state workers, human service workers, higher education faculty and family childcare providers in Massachusetts. This position is part of the Local’s communications department, and is responsible for creating the union’s strategic internal and external communications programs.
Example of Duties:
- Advance Local 509’s brand as a leading advocate for quality services, family-supporting jobs and strong communities.
- Coordinates with member organizer/leaders in creating, implementing and engaging in various campaigns (both issue and membership based)
- Designs and produces written and online materials
- Works alongside President, Chapter Presidents, and Communications Team to proactively represent our members and mission to the media and general public
- Curates and enhance content for the union’s website and social media accounts (including Twitter, Facebook and YouTube)
- Trains members and staff on best practices in communication technology
- Performs related work as required
Reports to the Communications Director
- Must have at least 2-3 years’ experience in communications and new media roles with union, progressive candidates/elected officials or grassroots organizations (or comparable work in the field of journalism)
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, with demonstrable success distilling complex issues into simple, public-facing messages
- Thorough understanding of the contemporary media landscape and current communications strategies and tactics
- Ability to conceptualize and design print materials (using, Adobe Creative Suite, Quark, Microsoft Publisher, etc.)
- Working knowledge of common content management programs (such as WordPress) and social media tools — HTML familiarity preferred
- Proficiency with photo and/or video equipment and editing software (Photoshop, Light Room, iMovie, Final Cut, etc.)
- Commitment to the labor movement and overall progressive social change, including but not limited to addressing systemic racism, gender parity, income inequality, immigrant rights, and LBGTQIA+ issues.
- Ability to work under pressure, both independently and as part of a team
- Must be willing to work long hours, travel in-state and work on weekends and evenings.
- Must have driver’s license, vehicle registration, and/or intent to purchase a vehicle. Our main office is located in Marlborough, MA, and position will require travel around the state.
- A sense of humor and ability to be flexible
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) skills are a plus
SEIU Local 509 offers competitive salaries and excellent benefits
SEIU Local 509 is an equal opportunity employer with a strong commitment to diversity — women, people of color and LGBT candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. Interested candidates should submit a résumé, and cover letter to:
The deadline for application is December 7, 2018. No phone calls please.