The SEIU 509 Scholarship Program funds educational scholarship awards for SEIU 509 union members and their dependents. Dependents are defined as children of members, or children under direct care of the member — such as a grandchild or foster child. These scholarships each range from $1,000 to $1,500.
- Each member or dependent must fill out the below SEIU 509 Scholarship application by May 10, 2019.
- To apply for a scholarship for a member or dependent of a member, the member must be considered a “member in good standing” as defined in the SEIU 509 Constitution.
- Dependents of members can be high school seniors or currently enrolled in undergraduate studies at an accredited educational institution.
- Members can be enrolled in an undergraduate, graduate or PhD program.
- The awards may be paid to the educational institution or student with proof of enrollment.
- No member or dependent may be awarded more than one SEIU 509 scholarship per academic year.
- Some scholarships are specific to members from a specific sector — others are assigned to associate members or officers and stewards.
- Helping to organize not-yet-unionized workers into a union.
- Active support of candidates for public office or ballot questions supporting positions endorsed by the members of SEIU 509.
- Encouraging member activism and building strength in their worksite.