Behavioral Health Organizer—SEIU Local 509
SEIU Local 509 is a fast growing, progressive union representing nearly 20,000 state workers, human service workers, higher education faculty, family child care providers and independent clinicians in Massachusetts. Local 509 members across all of these sectors work in different capacities within the behavioral health community. This position will be working with these members as well as non-member allies working in the behavioral health field to create a coalition of providers across the Commonwealth to advocate for affordable and accessible behavioral health services.
Example of Duties:
- Organizes both internally and externally to build a behavioral health coalition within the union
- Build relationships with outside organizations and groups
- Engages members and builds a member leader base
- Plans and coordinates member trainings
- Develops the planning and execution of the formation of regional membership structure for the behavioral health providers
- Coordinates activities within other sectors of the Local union such as organizing, communications and politics
- Ability to multitask and work independently
- Prior knowledge and/or background in the behavioral health field or behavioral health policy in Massachusetts is a plus, but not required
- Perform related work as required
- Attend related coalition and agency meetings as the 509 liaison
- Willingness and desire to contribute to the mission of union principles.
- Supervision Received: Reports to the Director of Field Services
- Must have at least 2 years’ experience in community or issue based organizing, preferably within the labor movement or political campaigns, or policy experience in behavioral health.
- Must possess good written and oral communication skills and have the ability to work in stressful situations.
- Must be willing to work long hours, travel in-state and work on weekends and evenings.
- Excellent computer skills are essential.
SEIU Local 509 offers competitive salaries and excellent benefits
SEIU Local 509 is an equal opportunity employer with a strong commitment to diversity — women, people of color and LGBT candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. Interested candidates should submit a résumé, and cover letter to: email@example.com. The deadline for application is May 31st. No phone calls please.