Organizing Position Available
SEIU Local 509 is a fast growing, progressive union representing nearly 20,000 state workers, human service workers, higher education faculty, family child care providers and independent clinicians in Massachusetts. We are growing our organizing team to organize and build power for human service workers.
General statement of duties:
- Organizes private and public sector workers
- Makes initial contact with workers
- Develops worker leads
- Develops organizing committees
- Develops and coordinates campaign
- Performs related work as assigned
Works under the supervision of the organizing director (or his/her designee) who reviews work for effectiveness, timeliness, scope, and accuracy in accordance with the needs of the campaign.
Examples of duties:
- Develop organizing leads
- Assesses worker interest in organizing a union
- Maintains consistent contact with unorganized workers
- Plans organizing committee meetings
- Maintains files and organizing lists
- Develops and makes recommendations on specific targets and strategy
- Recruits member organizers to support organizing efforts
- Builds support for organizing among SEIU 509 members
- Attends staff meetings and other related meetings and training
- Performs work in a timely fashion
- Keeps accurate records and files of campaigns
- Assists other locals as requested in organizing efforts
- Commitment to the labor movement
- Ability to move workers through house-calls and one on one conversation to organize a union
- Must be able to work independently and as part of a team
- Willingness to work long and irregular hours including nights and weekends
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills (listening, speaking, and writing)
- An insured, registered vehicle and a valid drivers’ license are required
Salary & Benefits:
This is a union bargaining unit position. SEIU Local 509 offers competitive salaries (commensurate with experience) and a generous benefits package.
SEIU Local 509 is an equal opportunity employer with a strong commitment to diversity — women, people of color and LGBT candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. Interested candidates should submit a résumé, cover letter to email@example.com
The deadline for application is June 29, 2019. No phone calls please.