SEIU Local 509 is a fast growing, progressive union representing 20,000 state workers, human service workers, higher education faculty, family child care providers and independent, mental health clinicians in Massachusetts. We are growing our organizing team to organize and build power for private sector human service workers.
General statement of duties:
- In coordination with the Organizing Director, develops and leads staff and member organizers
- Develops and leads organizing campaigns
- Coordinates communications, press and research aspects of organizing campaigns
- Develop organizing leads
- Assesses worker interest in organizing a union
- Trains workers and organizers to plan, lead and conduct organizing activities
- Leads the development of leaflets and other materials for organizing campaigns
- Evaluates the progress of organizing campaigns and makes decisions accordingly
- Leads community, faith based and political support for organizing campaigns
- Leads the NLRB process related to representation petitions and ULPs on organizing drives
- Maintains consistent contact with unorganized workers
- Plans organizing committee meetings
- Maintains files and organizing lists
- Develops and makes recommendations on specific targets and strategy
- Recruits member organizers to support organizing efforts
- Keeps accurate records and files of campaigns
Knowledge of union organizing practice and principles.
Knowledge of labor laws, especially with respect to union organizing.
Extensive knowledge of anti-union employer tactics.
Ability to evaluate organizing targets.
Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from a wide variety of audiences to include managers, colleagues, prospective union members, targeted employers, etc.
Ability to lead, train, and coordinate experienced organizing staff, organizer trainees, volunteer organizers and organizing committee members.
Knowledge of on-line data bases such as VAN
Works under the supervision of the Organizing Director (or his/her designee) who reviews work for effectiveness, timeliness, scope, and accuracy in accordance with the needs of the campaign.
May supervise interns directly or may provide functional supervision for other employees or member organizers.
Salary & Benefits:
SEIU Local 509 offers competitive salaries (commensurate with experience) and a generous benefit package.
SEIU Local 509 is an equal opportunity employer with a strong commitment to diversity — women, people of color and LGBT candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. Interested candidates should submit a résumé, cover letter to email@example.com
The deadline for application is July 5, 2019. No phone calls please.