SEIU Local 509 represents more than 18,000 human service workers and educators throughout Massachusetts. We provide a variety of social services to elders, at-risk children and people with mental illnesses or developmental disabilities — as well as educational services in both public and private sector settings.
From mental health clinicians and social workers to early childhood educators and university lecturers, Local 509 members are united in our mission to raise living standards for working families while improving the quality and affordability of the services we provide. SEIU Local 509 is part of the Service Employees International Union (SEIU), one of
the largest and fastest-growing labor unions in the United States.
Local 509 has created a team of staff (Member Action Resource Center, MARC) dedicated to supporting stewards, officers and members in the processing and tracking of grievances, and in training and developing stewards.
This is a full-time, permanent, salaried position; The successful candidate will be experienced in processing grievances, adhering to prescribed timelines of each collective bargaining agreement while being comfortable in training union members around the processes of handling grievances. S/he should also possess the skills to remain highly organized in their daily work activities. Work will primarily take place in the Local 509 headquarters, currently located in Marlborough, MA with occasional travel throughout the state in order to attend grievance meetings and conduct training sessions.
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES
MARC Organizers are a team of staff specializing in enforcing collective bargaining
agreements through grievance procedures, supporting member leaders, by
promptly responding to members’ questions. MARC Organizers: Advise members of
their rights under the contract and the law; work with member leaders to enforce
their collective bargaining agreement and labor and employment laws; maintain
communication with relevant Internal Organizers. Work is done primarily but not
exclusively by phone.
1) Respond to members’ inquiries by advising them of their rights and answering questions about their benefits.
2) Train and support stewards and member leaders on grievances and unfair labor practices.
3) Advise and assist members and member leaders with assessing workplace
issues and deciding whether or not to file a grievance or other union action.
4) Advising and assisting member leaders with representing members at Investigatory Meetings.
5) Advising and Assisting member leaders with preparing, filing and arguing grievances
6) Advising and Assisting member leaders with filing and preparing ULPs/Prohibited Practices
7) If necessary represent members at Investigatory meetings, prepare, file and argue grievances, ULPs/Prohibited Practices, etc. without member leaders.
8) Work with Legal staff and member leaders on ULPs/Prohibited Practices, Arbitrations and any other approved litigation
9) Maintain files on conversations and cases by using the MARC database
10) Maintain regular communication with Internal Organizers to make sure
workplace issues are appropriately addressed and Organizer is aware of
relevant grievances and other actions
11) Recruit bargaining unit members to join the union, sign-up for COPE, attend
events and inform members of relevant union plans and activities by phone
MARC Organizers work under the MARC Director – who directs and supervises the
team’s progress on enforcing all collective bargaining agreements, while reviewing
cases on their merits. Also helps to drive the goals of Local 509 on developing a
stronger leader and steward structure through the education of members.
SALARY & BENEFITS
SEIU Local 509 offers competitive salaries (commensurate with experience) and a
generous benefits package.
SEIU Local 509 is an equal opportunity employer with a commitment to diversity –
women, people of color and LGBT candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Candidates who are Bilingual/Bicultural with English/Spanish are highly desirable.
Interested candidates should submit a résumé and cover letter to:
Applications should be sent to: email@example.com by July 19, 2019