General Description of Position:
SEIU Local 509 is a fast growing, progressive union representing nearly 20,000 state workers, human service workers, higher education faculty and family child care providers in Massachusetts. This position is an internal organizing position in the family child care department of local 509, and is responsible for representation, bargaining and leadership development for family child care providers.
Example of Duties:
- Develops leaders
- Educates and trains officers, members, and non-union providers
- Assists with gathering information for contract negotiations
- Monitors and ensures contract compliance
- Attends Labor / Management meetings
- Supports organizing of non-union family child care providers
- Supports building political power for family child care providers
- Consistently recruits new union members
- Performs related work as required
Reports to the Child Care Coordinator
May supervise interns directly; may provide functional supervision for other employees or members on per diem.
- Candidates should have previous experience in community or issue based organizing, preferably within the labor movement — and/or have experience bargaining contracts.
- Commitment to the labor movement
- Must possess good written and oral communication skills and have the ability to work in stressful situations.
- Must be willing to work long hours, travel in-state and work on weekends and evenings.
- Excellent computer skills are essential.
- Bilingual preferred
SEIU Local 509 offers competitive salaries and excellent benefits
SEIU Local 509 is an equal opportunity employer with a strong commitment to diversity — women, people of color and LGBT candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. Interested candidates should submit a résumé, and cover letter to:
The deadline for application is August 15, 2019. No phone calls please