General Description of Position:
SEIU Local 509 is a fast growing, progressive union representing nearly 20,000 state workers, human service workers, higher education faculty and family child care providers in Massachusetts. This is an internal organizing position in the public sector department of local 509, and is responsible for representation, bargaining and leadership development for public sector workers.
Example of Duties:
- Develops leaders
- Educates and trains officers, stewards and members
- Negotiates contracts
- Monitors and ensures contract compliance
- Attends Labor / Management meetings
- Supports organizing of non-union human service workers
- Supports building political power for human service workers
- Performs related work as required
Reports to the Public Sector Coordinator
May supervise interns directly; may provide functional supervision for other employees or members on per diem.
- Candidates should have previous experience in community or issue based organizing, preferably within the labor movement — and/or have experience bargaining contracts.
- Commitment to the labor movement
- Must possess good written and oral communication skills and have the ability to work in stressful situations.
- Must be willing to work long hours, travel in-state and work on weekends and evenings.
- Excellent computer skills are essential.
SEIU Local 509 offers competitive salaries and excellent benefits
SEIU Local 509 is an equal opportunity employer with a strong commitment to diversity — women, people of color and LGBT candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. Interested candidates should submit a résumé, and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org
The deadline for application is November 8, 2018. No phone calls please.