ABOUT SEIU LOCAL 509
SEIU Local 509 represents more than 18,000 human service workers and educators throughout Massachusetts. We provide a variety of social services to elders, at-risk children and people with mental illnesses or developmental disabilities — as well as educational services in both public and private sector settings. From mental health clinicians and social workers to early childhood educators and university lecturers, Local 509 members are united in our mission to raise living standards for all working families while improving the quality and affordability of the services we provide. SEIU Local 509 is part of the 2.1 million members Service Employees International Union, the fastest-growing labor union in the United States. Focused on uniting workers in four sectors — public services, long term care, property services, and hospital systems — SEIU is the nation’s largest health care union, the largest property services union, the second-largest public employee union and the fastest-growing union in higher education.
SEIU Local 509 is growing rapidly, and our team is expanding to better serve the needs of union members. We seek a full-time associate in our Business & Finance Department to help facilitate this growth and evolution, and assist in the day-to-day functions of the organization. This position will primarily focus on maintaining membership information and addressing related issues – along with management of new member benefit programs. Other duties may be assigned as the department evolves.
- Oversees the dues systems for members (including Beck-Hudson)
- Maintains and builds connections with employers around dues and membership data
- Manages all incoming communications with bargaining unit members concerning dues
- Works with union Field Representatives to restructure, standardize and track dues reports
- Coordinates new member outreach with the state and other represented entities
- Creates and maintains dues paying membership reports for all departments
- Coordinates the SEIU Local 509 member benefit programs, including work as liaison to the national SEIU-NEA benefits
- Assist with the administration of union employee benefits, health and insurance programs if needed
- Participates in regular staff meetings and trainings
- Provides general support for related business, membership and finance department functions (and other departments as assigned)
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Background in employee/member benefits, accounting, human resources or related fields strongly preferred
- Strong computer skills, including familiarity with accounting software, Excel Spreadsheets and MS Access databases
- Ability to convey complex information in a clear and concise manner
- Ability to work well with diverse populations
- Ability to multitask and work independently
- Union, non-profit or governmental experience preferred, but not required
- Prior knowledge and/or background of unions and dues systems helpful, but not required
- Support for and desire to contribute to the union’s mission and principles
- Willingness to work some nights and weekends, including travel throughout the state and infrequent out-of-state travel
SEIU Local 509 offers a competitive salary based on experience with a full range of benefits.
Interested candidates should submit resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
The deadline for applications is Feb 21, 2020. No phone calls please.