In February 2020 we announced a settlement with the Commonwealth of Massachusetts that establishes a new training fund for state workers, the SEIU Local 509 – Commonwealth Human Service Workers and Educators Training and Professional Development Fund. Among other things, this fund commits $2 Million dollars for scholarships for state workers and their dependents, and since it is getting established as a legal entity this year, Local 509 has agreed to process the scholarship program for this first year.
The trustees of the fund recently voted to distribute $200,000 for scholarships each year for the next ten years. We are thrilled to announce that in 2020, we will be awarding up to 40 scholarships of $5,000 to members or dependents of the SEIU Local bargaining units 8 & 10 including 10 for eligible members, 10 for dependents of eligible members, and 20 additional awards randomly selected from dependent and member applicants.
Scholarships to eligible members and dependents must be for tuition at an accredited educational institution in an undergraduate, graduate or doctoral degree program and are for the 2020-21 academic year.
Applications are due on Friday, June 5, 2020 at 5:00pm. The drawing for 2020 scholarship awards will take place Monday, June 8, 2020. Please see below for guidelines and eligibility requirements.
To be eligible for a scholarship, the applicant must:
- Be a member of the collective bargaining unit covered by the collective bargaining agreement between SEIU Local 509 and the Commonwealth of Massachusetts or dependent of such member.
- Dependents are defined as children of the member or children under direct care of the member — such as a grandchild or foster child.
- Dependents must be high school seniors accepted for enrollment in undergraduate studies at an accredited educational institution to begin in the fall 2020 term or currently enrolled in undergraduate studies at an accredited educational institution.
- No awards will be paid without proof of enrollment.
- Members must be enrolled in an undergraduate, graduate or PhD program.
- Not be a full-time officer of SEIU Local 509 or a dependent of such officer.
If you have any questions, please contact Jenny at email@example.com.