Contract bargaining team members and organizers celebrate an overwhelming 95% ‘Yes!’ vote with Local 509 president Susan Tousignant.
With more than 95% voting in favor, our first union contract has been ratified!
From a 10% rate increase over the three-year agreement to significant gains around training, specialized care and translation needs, we’ve made a great deal of progress in our first contract. We’ve also made great strides to improve the quality and affordability of child care for working families throughout Massachusetts. Details on these and other contract gains are available here – be sure to check it out.
This is an historic moment for Family Child Care Providers in Massachusetts – and one we can all be very proud of. Congratulations to everyone who helped make this landmark victory possible!
RATE INCREASE COMING SOON
The Patrick Administration has indicated they will petition the legislature to fund our first 4% raise, retroactive to July, 2013. Department of Early Education & Care officials believe the first increased payments will be processed beginning in April.
On July 1 of this year, the next 3% raise will go into effect – bringing the total rate increase to 7%. DEEC believes the 10% part-time rate improvements will also go into effect around this date. On July 1, 2015, the final 3% raise will go into effect – bringing us to the full 10% rate increase we won in this contract.
It is important to note that only in-home Family Child Care Providers covered by the union contract will receive all of these increases.
MEMBERSHIP & COPE CARDS
It is important to return your signed Membership and COPE cards as soon as possible. Your up-to-date membership card is vital to our efforts to grow and strengthen the voice of Family Child Care Providers. COPE participation is what helps us build support in the State House, and will put Family Child Care Providers in an even position for future contract negotiations.
If you need a new Membership or COPE card, please contact Isabel Gonzalez-Webster at email@example.com or via phone at 617-924-8509 x583 and we’ll get new cards out to you right away.
Stay tuned for details on our ongoing work to secure more affordable child care vouchers — and our lobbying efforts for new funding for early education in the upcoming state budget. Let’s make 2014 another big a year for Family Child Care Providers in Massachusetts!